What do I write about?
It’s been a weird couple of weeks.
I feel…not quite like myself. I feel tired but also restless, motivated but also lethargic.
I get myself ready to write (bring out pen and notebook, sit on the floor, have a Youtube video playing in the background) and…nothing.
I seem to have run out of words.
I do write in my notebook everyday, but I do not feel like sharing these thoughts online.
And as you can imagine, this is a real problem for a Writer with a blog and multiple social media pages.
So, I am trying to remedy this by sharing 10 random thoughts:
- I miss my Mum.
- I can’t believe that the bank accounts of some of the organizers of the #ENDSARS protests have been frozen on the directive of the Nigerian Government. Democracy?
- I may have a future career in interior design. The Lockdown has escalated my love for home decor and DIY tasks (I spray-painted a blue basket gold today. It felt good).
- Biden/Harris. Thank the Lord.
- The ongoing heatwave in Abuja feels like a personal attack.
- I have given myself the task of reading books in my collection that I have read only once.
- ‘Good Morning’ is a greeting. ‘You have added weight’ is not a greeting. There is no need to fill empty spaces where you feel a conversation should occur with unnecessary words.
- Grief is personal. Grief is personal. Grief is personal. Let people (me) mourn in their own way.
- Chin-chin+groundnuts is a killer snack combination.
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie remains a role model to me; I enjoy the fact that her creativity is celebrated over and over again. I hope that my writing is appreciated long after I have shared it.
I hope you have a week full of love and laughter.
Ivie M. Eke
November 15th, 2020