For my first post of 2021, here’s some (unsolicited) advice for Writers:
- You never know what readers of your work would respond to. One of my most viewed posts on my blog was one where I called on Writers to take ownership of their work. My most viewed post overall is a short story called ‘Kama Sutra’ that I shared in 2016. It was very short and more like a joke to myself and I’m still amazed by the views it still gets.
- Consistency is great, but taking breaks is also necessary.
3. Creativity is both spontaneous and intentional. Master this fact and you’ll be on your way to writing greatness.
- Learning is constant. I learn about writing everyday. I learn by writing notes to myself, listening to music, reading both fiction and non-fiction, watching the news, watching Crime dramas, watching comedy shows, remembering how my Mother expressed herself, looking at Art, observing interactions between co-workers, family, strangers. To be a great Writer, you need to pay attention to the things happening around you.
- Writing is to entertain others, but it should also fulfil you, the Writer. Writing should make you happy. It’s a very basic thought, but an important one.
Happy New Year 💕
Ivie M. Eke 2021.