Valentine’s day is next weekend, and I know some of you would want to write sweet words to your loved ones.
Here are some helpful tips to guide you as you write your love poems:
Do’s and don’ts of writing love poems.
- Do: read existing poetry for inspiration and to build your writing confidence.
- Don’t plagiarize. No one wants to kiss a Thief.
- Do: keep things simple. Make your poem easy for your loved one to read.
- Don’t include names, especially if you fall in love frequently. Your safety might not be guarateed if you were to send your Lover a poem with another person’s name in it.
- Do: choose a writing style that you are comfortable with: rhyming or free-flowing verses, short or long poems.
- Don’t make it weird. Unless you’re a Stalker or Vampire, don’t say you want to watch them sleep or drink their blood. No.
Ivie M. Eke
5th of February 2021.